Bayanihan Linux Support Forum Index
Bayanihan Linux Support
The Official Community Forum
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Questions concerning BLTCM clients performance and settings
bartolome
Baguhan

im just wondering abt how fast can the openoffice apps respond? i noted w the typical setup of BL running those apps takes quite an effort for the cpu. one comment in the BL forum stated a 45seconds of nothing b4 a initial screen came appeared. how much of this is expected of the diskless setup?

does a diskless workstation require more memory to run smoothly? how much memory would be needed by d server for a 20 workstations? how much ram needed by each wstation? what's d least processor speed for such a setup?

can u run internet/intranet on the clients? are scsi drives in raid config a requirement or
will eide/ide in raid will do?

What abt the video resolutions and audio for each elients? does all clients hav to hav the same hardware specs or can they jst be configured separately and independently?

im seriously considering BLTCM setup if my users wouldnt notice much the shift in performance and of cors, it shouldnt cost much.

Please enlighten me.

Thank you.
Re: Questions concerning BLTCM clients performance and sett
zen
Baguhan

bartolome wrote:
im just wondering abt how fast can the openoffice apps respond? i noted w the typical setup of BL running those apps takes quite an effort for the cpu. one comment in the BL forum stated a 45seconds of nothing b4 a initial screen came appeared. how much of this is expected of the diskless setup?

does a diskless workstation require more memory to run smoothly? how much memory would be needed by d server for a 20 workstations? how much ram needed by each wstation? what's d least processor speed for such a setup?

can u run internet/intranet on the clients? are scsi drives in raid config a requirement or
will eide/ide in raid will do?

What abt the video resolutions and audio for each elients? does all clients hav to hav the same hardware specs or can they jst be configured separately and independently?

im seriously considering BLTCM setup if my users wouldnt notice much the shift in performance and of cors, it shouldnt cost much.

Please enlighten me.

Thank you.

please note, I am not a bayanihan linux dev/expert but I may be able to shed some light to your dilemma.

The speed at wich your applications will run in a thin client setup will depend on your server and the amout of load it is carrying. Fortunately, due to the nature of thin clients, as the number of clients connected increases the load on the server is not exponentially increased (should be, havent tried it on BL).

a thin client workstation requires LESS memory than a regular thick client. it also requires LESS processor speed on the workstation end. All processing load is on the server and the workstation pretty much just displays output and sends input to the server.

If the server has internet/intranet, all workstations will have it as well. think of the workstations as display terminals for output and all you are really managing is one computer (the server). Its like taking one pc, and splitting it into workstations.

I have yet to prove all of this as I plan to scrutinize BLTCM but that is the idea. I will post updates here as I prove them, or you can email me.
Questions concerning BLTCM clients performance and settings