Bayanihan Linux Support Forum Index
Bayanihan Linux Support
The Official Community Forum
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
INTFS mo?
Arpee Ong
Baguhan

I would not recommend you to mount your NTFS partition to Linux especially if it is the bootable partition, masisira ung NTLDR mo (NT Loader File) which is required to boot Windows, but here's a very good workaround and i recommend using a good partitioning software like partition magic, this is prior to any OS installation but is a very good setup in the long run for a common 40 gig HD

1.) alot a 100 mb partition in the begining of your HD, this is where you will mount the /boot partition of linux
2.) you may then use the next 16 gigs of your HD for the windows installation (NTFS), this is reasonable enough since you wont be saving your user documents and files in this partition anyway, this will only be for the softwares you will install, kahit mag full MS office ka pa with VS.net i guarantee na magkakasya yan, sobra sobra pa nga yab
3.)next is make a another 16 gig VFAT(fat32) partition, this is a global partition which can be accessed by linux and windows, you should mount this partition to your linux installatation like in /mnt/shared/, and then rerout your my documents in windows to this partition, it will be the drive D in this setup, yung mangyayari dito is yung my documents mo sa windows can now be accessed in your /mnt/shared/ folder in your linux
4.)next is make a 7 gigabyte partition (EXT3FS) for the root partition of your linux, this is not the /root folder but the "/" directory (the real root) ito na ung full install mo for the linux, since hindi naman modular yang bayanihan, you wont be installing new stuff so 7 gig is enough,
5.) then the remaining one gig must be mounted as your swap partition for linux

of course hindi sakto ung mga gig count ko, the partitioning software you will use will take care of the accuracy, approximates lang yan,

6.) install windows to the NTFS partition
7.) then install linux using manual parition
8.) edit the partitions of course and place these in order
a.)"/boot" in the 100 mb partition you made
b.)"/ partition" to the 7 gig partition you made
c.)"swap to the last one gig partition you made
d.) and mount the 16 gig vfat partition to "/mnt/shared" or any folder you will wish, just dont use a system folder of linux
then install

outcome: you will dual boot with windows, your my document can now be access in the /mnt/shared folder of your linux, if you wish to use wine on your windows programs, then copy it in your my documents or drive d: in windows and open them in your /mnt/shared folder in linux.

my system is quadro boot, windows server 2003, Fedora Core, Suse 9.1 and DR dos, they all share 20 gig of global partition, since my HD is 120 gig sata...
Arpee Ong
Baguhan

its stupid to mount your booting NTFS partition to Bayanihan, you'll end up reinstalling windows since the windows boot loader cannot be repaired by the native windows installer recovery tool and repair, very stupid
kh1d
Baguhan

I totally agree!!! Very Happy
jrpong
Nag-aaral ng Linux

I'm using mixed Distros (BL 3.1 and Fedora Core 4) most of them dual boot in case we have to use some windows functionality but most of the time we are running our office on linux minus the printing medyo di pa configure however i will share this para ma mount nyo ung NTFS partition na read and write:

Here's the link: http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html#NTFS

tapos alising nyo na lang yung "ro" sa line na:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,defaults,umask=02220 0

to make it like this:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs defaults,umask=02220 0

it works fine with my Fedora Core 4 (Server namin) kasi meron kaming HD na NTFS ang partition

Ajhae
Baguhan

Try mo po 2

http://www.linuxforum.com/linux_tutorials/1/1.php

ndi ko pa na try pero pag nag success, post mo po if its ok ha.
Re: INTFS mo?
pup
Baguhan

Arpee Ong wrote:
I would not recommend you to mount your NTFS partition to Linux especially if it is the bootable partition, masisira ung NTLDR mo (NT Loader File) which is required to boot Windows, but here's a very good workaround and i recommend using a good partitioning software like partition magic, this is prior to any OS installation but is a very good setup in the long run for a common 40 gig HD

1.) alot a 100 mb partition in the begining of your HD, this is where you will mount the /boot partition of linux
2.) you may then use the next 16 gigs of your HD for the windows installation (NTFS), this is reasonable enough since you wont be saving your user documents and files in this partition anyway, this will only be for the softwares you will install, kahit mag full MS office ka pa with VS.net i guarantee na magkakasya yan, sobra sobra pa nga yab
3.)next is make a another 16 gig VFAT(fat32) partition, this is a global partition which can be accessed by linux and windows, you should mount this partition to your linux installatation like in /mnt/shared/, and then rerout your my documents in windows to this partition, it will be the drive D in this setup, yung mangyayari dito is yung my documents mo sa windows can now be accessed in your /mnt/shared/ folder in your linux
4.)next is make a 7 gigabyte partition (EXT3FS) for the root partition of your linux, this is not the /root folder but the "/" directory (the real root) ito na ung full install mo for the linux, since hindi naman modular yang bayanihan, you wont be installing new stuff so 7 gig is enough,
5.) then the remaining one gig must be mounted as your swap partition for linux

of course hindi sakto ung mga gig count ko, the partitioning software you will use will take care of the accuracy, approximates lang yan,

6.) install windows to the NTFS partition
7.) then install linux using manual parition
8.) edit the partitions of course and place these in order
a.)"/boot" in the 100 mb partition you made
b.)"/ partition" to the 7 gig partition you made
c.)"swap to the last one gig partition you made
d.) and mount the 16 gig vfat partition to "/mnt/shared" or any folder you will wish, just dont use a system folder of linux
then install

outcome: you will dual boot with windows, your my document can now be access in the /mnt/shared folder of your linux, if you wish to use wine on your windows programs, then copy it in your my documents or drive d: in windows and open them in your /mnt/shared folder in linux.

my system is quadro boot, windows server 2003, Fedora Core, Suse 9.1 and DR dos, they all share 20 gig of global partition, since my HD is 120 gig sata...

Hi. I'm a BL newbie. I'm planning to dual-boot XP and BL 3.1 on a 320Gb HD currently configured as a slave to my XP system. I was hoping to transfer my data to the slave then install XP then BL. I was wondering what your allocations for the partitions would be if I wanted to follow a scheme similar to yours. Also, can you indicate kung alin doon sa partitions ang primary at extended/logical? Nagkaka-problema me right now kasi. Hindi ako maka-create ng more than 2 logical drives for the large 'shared' data partition so I'm really desperate for some help. Thank you! Crying or Very sad
totoymola
Baguhan

Gamit ko ntfs-3g (or fuse ntfsmount) para makapagmount ng NTFS partitions with read/write support sa ibang distribution. Pero di ko pa nasusubukan yon sa BL.

Last edited by totoymola on Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
totoymola
Baguhan

Quote:
Also, can you indicate kung alin doon sa partitions ang primary at extended/logical?

Kung magiinstall ka ng OS sa partition na gagawin mo, kelangan gawin mo syang primary. Kasi kung hindi, may tendency na hindi magboot ang OS mo. May explanation akong nabasa tungkol jan dati, pero di ko lang mahanap ngayon kaya di ko ma-post yung link.

Para sa dual-boot, maganda yung tip ni Arpee tungkol sa paggamit ng separate partition para sa /boot. Ganon din ginagawa ko. Ang advantage non para sakin ay para hindi ako magkakaproblema sa pagboot pag nire-install ko yung windows ko.

Sa SUSE 10 dati ganito ang ginawa ko:

1 primary partition (ext3 and active!) para sa /boot
1 primary partition (ntfs) para sa Windows
1 primary partition (ext3) para sa Linux
1 extended partition (fat32) para sa shared files ng Windows at Linux
1 partition for swap

Hindi ako sure pero kung tama ang pagkaka-alala ko, yung bootloader (grub) ininstall ko sa /boot hindi sa MBR.

Oo nga pala, Acronis Disk Director ang gamit ko paggawa ng partitions.
NTFS
khickyphutz
Nag-aaral ng Linux

Thanks fafsi ah hehehe... big help po ung hehe.. meron lang ako koteng prob with it... read-execute access lang po ata meron ako.. ndi ako maka write po hehehe
Viewing NTFS file
DRTorres
Baguhan

Eto ang turo sa akin ng taga BL Team

Type mo etong command na eto sa run command:

kdesu "kwrite /etc/fstab"

you will be prompted by root password, enter your root Password
then add a command line similar to this (after the last line of commands)

/dev/hda1 /media/cwindows ntfs defaults 1 2

then save.

then in the directory: /media
create a folder name: cwindows (note: in my case i used cwindows to distinguish my windows drive c)
reminder: use root password if you cannot create a folder. creating a folder in linux is similar to windows.
ntfs
DRTorres
Baguhan

kahit sa ubunto 7.04 di rin kayang mag write sa NTFS system pero yung latest nila na 7.10 relaese ng oct 2007 pwede na. Tayo sa BL4 di pwede.
what you can do is, while on windows, transfer your files to drive d: formatted as fat32. kasi kung ikaw ay maingat even in windows dapat di
ka nagsasave sa c kasi ang virus umaatake normally sa drive c. you will be safe if your data file is on drive d. kahit mag re-install ka ng
windows ok lang.
rage
Technical Support

actually its possible to write to your ntfs partitions using ntfs-3g which is available from the repository so instead of using:

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt

you would use something like:

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/hda1 /mnt

Registered Linux User #376704
Get counted at http://counter.li.org
Bayanihan GNU/Linux 5 (Kalumbata)
frezasaga
Baguhan

madatagal ng supported ng linux ang ntfs............

punta kyo d2 sa site na ito

http://linuxpackages.net/

tapos download nyo ntfs3g desing para ma read and write ang ntfs..............
Can I access my NTFS partition on BL???